Tuesday 8 February 2022

Music Marketing Blog Post #2

     This project has been my favorite so far as creativity was a big part of it. The techniques used in music marketing, and marketing, in general, go way above what I expected. My team and I put many ideas together that we have seen on social media and on movies and put them together to suit our band "Skelm".  We used WhatsApp as our main form of communication outside of class and made sure deadlines were met and opinions were heard. This project wouldn't have worked out if it wasn't for communication and teamwork. 

    The team split up the work once we got our main idea together to work efficiently. I took upon the social media portion of the project. I took inspiration from many big artists and mainly other metal music bands such as Korn and SlipKnot in order to fit the aesthetic. I created a fake Instagram for the band and once we had established the colors and logo I got to posting and creating the whole profile. Additionally, I also worked on the trends in marketing in the distribution of the presentation which was pretty challenging.

      The biggest challenge I had while working on this project was the trends in metal music. Since it's a very "mysterious" genre, I personally found it difficult to research how big bands marketed their albums since they already have a very established fanbase. I found marketing and pr companies that specialized in metal music and based a lot of the ideas used in our project on their marketing techniques. Another main challenge we had was time management. The day the project was due we had to connect on WhatsApp video chat and split up the work and assign each other the slides that we were individually going to present. Since we didn't follow our schedule, we had to do most of the hard work last minute and ended up crossing out some of the ideas we had due to timing issues. Fortunately, we finished right on time,

    When it came to the artistic side of the project (The logo, Music Video, Merchandise, etc), two of the team members took responsibility and certainly didn't disappoint. The merchandise and logo were just as we had planned. As a group, we explored a variety of fonts and color schemes and decided on a purple and black theme to differentiate our brand from already established ones that mainly use red. It all came together and each member's ideas were somehow incorporated throughout the video and campaign. 

    Lastly, I was a bit disappointed in myself when it came to presenting the band to the class since I got very anxious and nervous and forgot a lot of the information. I stuttered a bit and was trying my best to recall what I had researched previously and what was written on the slides, but the nerves came over me. I was sad to disappoint my team members as they also put a lot of effort into the presentation and knew their parts very well. 

    What I enjoyed the most about this project is definitely the creativity and communication that went into it. Everyone's ideas and opinions were heard and no one was afraid to disagree on something. I also enjoyed the learning experience as I didn't know how much really went into getting an artist/ band and their content out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My CCR

 After 9 weeks of hard work, it's time to reflect on the process.  Here's my  CCR !!!